Thursday 15 November 2012

TASK 6b: My Developed Survey

In my Pilot Survey, I really didn't see this tool as useful I found it's quantitative data collection something that didn't fit in with my research. I was looking at peoples opinions and ideas and therefore needed an qualitative approach to my research. Still, I carried out the survey and as I thought I did stumble upon some issues. The first was getting people interested in it. I targeted the BAPP programme, including an email to my SIG and then a select group of outside practitioners that I knew were safe enough to send it to. But getting people excited and passionate about a survey proved difficult. Is it a sign of the times? Are we bombarded with marketing surveys? Is there a negative stigma attached to it?

After some reflections in my journal an interesting idea emerged. It became apparent that in order to validate the qualitative data within my observations and discussions, "I needed to record the details and background of the person" (Ahmet, A 2012). What I was looking for was quantitative data to gather up the statistics of the age the teachers taught, the amount of practitioner experience and their teaching status etc. "I have found a place for the survey within my inquiry" (Ahmet, A. 2012), I discover in my journal. The survey is a fantastic tool for recording the background to the qualitative data being collected. This would help the in-depth analysis and comparison of my findings and validate the research I'm doing as accurate as possible.

Here is the new design of my survey...

Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XDCND7X

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet,
    I am so pleased to read this. As per my email to you a couple of days ago, I found it really difficult to find the time and space to put answers into the blank boxes. I blogged the other day about using a mixture of quantitative and qualitative data in my surveys to clients, under the heading “Methods of Research” : http://jo-clarke.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/tasks-5-b-c-my-ethical-journey.html I find that I stand more chance of receiving responses by offering tick boxes and an opportunity to offer "other" comments should they wish to elaborate on any aspects of the survey.
    I would like to offer critique, but perhaps I shall give you a call/email you instead of commenting on here. It regards the consistency required in a survey. You should perhaps read it through and see if you are able to complete it yourself?
    I shall be in touch.
    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo,

    Thank you for you email. Valid points you have made regarding the clarity of the questions. I now understand the full benefit of having a SIG and using them in the piloting process of my tools for inquiry.

    Thank you
    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete