Thursday 1 November 2012

Summary of Module 2, Part 5

This part has presented a different appearance to the rest of the course so far. The ideas of part 5 have been difficult to digest at times, my journal reflects, "I'm reading and reading, but what is it about ethics that I don't seem to be grasping"? Instantly put off by the Greek philososy, I seem to be struggling to see the relevance here. "I guess I need to apply it to my practice and see if that notion uncovers anything useful" (Ahmet, A. 2012). I now know that this noyion was the key to not having an understanding of ethics, as that would appear to give it a label or make ethics a thing. Rather, I have developed an awareness of the intricate and complex world of ethical priciples that surround the professional practitioner. 

Looking further into my inquiry and in a bid to appease my interest in further reading. I collect some support for the potential issues that my area of inquiry could anticipate, 
     As an insider-researcher you will have to live
     with the mistakes and should proceed carefully in
     negotiating with colleagues, following research protocols
     designed for insider-researchers... Issues associated 
     with being an insider-researcher involve the close
     familiarity with your particular organisation or 
     community of practice. The ethical issues that you
     anticipate arising in your project reflect your own way 
     of thinking... You determine which behaviours are observed
     and which you ignore... This knowledge is sometimes
     represented as being 'subjective'... It is important
     to articulate your own perspectives... this process of
     articulating your position will allow others to reflect 
     on alternative constructions (Costley et al, 2010).
Costley, Elliot and Gibbs 2010 support my concern for the reputation and relationships within my community of practice. This issue arose in my blog on Professional Ethics. It brings me to the conclusion that as I begin to design my inquiry care consideration must be given for the community being observed and their wishes and demands to be met at all times. This repeact for my research subjetcs could be the key to the quality of data they return back to me.

I want to conclude my summary with an article I found whilst courting some pieces of liteatrute ready for the next part. Director, Richard Eyre's comments gave great fule to ignite the fire within and provide the energy I need to continue with my inquiry, "Don’t for a moment think that these opportunities to communicate with people are going to be washed away... Our memory, our feelings, our sense of our own history - will become more to be valued, more to be cherished through the stories we tell each other when we’re together about what it is to be alive" (Elkin, S. 2010). Ethics is a broad subject, I've stopped and reflected, I can honestly say, I'm excited (glad) to be moving on. Next stop, tools for inquiry.


Costley et al, 2010. Doing work based Leraning: Approches to enquiry for insider researchers, Sage publications, London. Also availible online: http://lgdata.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/docs/566/537835/WBS3630_Costley_Doing_work_based_research.pdf Accessed [1/11/2012].

Elkin, S. 2010. The Stage: Education and Training Blog. [online] http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/education/2010/11/richard-eyre-president-of-rose-bruford-o/ Accessed [1/11/2012].

3 comments:

  1. Ahmet! You are coming along so quickly! Well done! I am having trouble reading all your blogs in time for the next one! Haha. Your first post on Reader 5- Task 5a really helped me to find some of my basic ethics as we have the same type of practice so thank you.

    The part about personal issues, do you feel that students should never know of any of your personal story as a teacher? Where is the line drawn?

    I am struggling with this part of my code of conduct.

    Thanks

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Rebecca. I'm using my free time at half term so things are a little quicker. That and I seems to blog and save. I like to have another fresh look before i publish everything, so I saved them up and put them out together. This way I get to monitor what I'm actually putting on here (issues of confidence I hear you say)...

    The ethical principal of personal life and teaching is a tough one. At first a teacher will want to say, reveal nothing and keep it purely professional. But these a humans we are dealing with and young ones at that. Also, we are creative teachers, a cold, sterile, un-personal environment doesn't make for a open creative platform. I think where i draw the line is details. For example, after summer, my kids noticed that I was wearing a ring on a particular finger. They quickly asked as children do, "did you get engaged"? If I replied in a traditional teachers tone, 'how dare you, mind you own business'. My class would have suffered as a result of that. I confirmed, yes I was engaged and was getting married soon, but the details of to whom and where and when, was where I drew the line. The kids then knew, that I too was human and we could work together creatively, but there was a respect for me that had to be served.

    I think it's something we feel as the right way to behave as appose to a fine line or a list we can pluck out of thin air. There are grey areas and different situations.

    I'll look at you blog now and see what you've been up to.

    P.S. Where are you based? We should have a live SIG collaboration with a few of us. This has been really useful in the past. That and I need some LAMDA cover soon and you could be useful to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment Ahmet. I am based in Buckinghamshire, just outside of London. Where are you? I had a little look on your theatre school page, looks very fun but can't remember where the location is.
    A lot of my students ask me personal questions. I think it's around a particular age group.. 12 going on 30! I think it may be because they are unsure of what's going on with them, they ask a teacher secretly for advice maybe? Anyway, I do agree with what you say about feeling when to disclose personal information. You want the students to feel like they can talk to you but want to remain professional and them not knowing about your entire personal life! I try to answer their questions and try to make my answers constructive by setting a good example. It is a difficult one. I also change the subject a lot when they ask personal questions. Does the trick!

    I, too, have been making the most of half term and have also been saving my thoughts on google drive and copying and pasting them. As it means I can add to my thoughts when I am out and about on my phone. It took me quite a while to get through the Reader though! It's very long!

    Please let me know what you think about my blogs and congrats on the engagement! :)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete