Thursday 15 November 2012

TASK 6b: My Developed Interview and Focus Group.

The development of my interview and focus group did begin to happen on TASK 4c. I sat down with a fellow practitioner and in a safe environment I began to discuss a set of questions, Improving their approach and wording.  It was this task that I based the design of my Pilot Observation and Focus Group. Again working with the same practitioner we looked at the design, however the main aspect of the interview and focus group that changed wasn't the questions themselves, but the very approach and method of delivery of them. I went from a place of asking questions to raising themes for discussion. These themes take the shape of what the topic is based on and then a serious of questions would follow. This style allowed room for discussion and by being flexible and loose to where the conversion could go, left room for the practitioner in question to express their opinion without any manipulation. By stimulating the conversation with my topics for discussion, my interviews and focus groups can become less ridged in style and more like, "conversations with purpose" Mason, 2007.

I'm still with the idea that my focus group and interview take similar shape, in terms of the topics. I feel it would be interesting to structure them the same and then this will make for interesting analysis, observing what happened when practitioners were alone and in a group.

This tool will be the backbone of my inquiry, giving me the ultimate qualitative data I crave as a researcher.  I had a great idea and have already arrange this for next year, I wanted to spend the day at one of my schools. Observing 4-5 teachers and then holding a focus group. This allows me to watch what they do and then find out what they think. Thus leading to an broader analysis.

2 comments:

  1. I think using the same questions for your interview and your focus group is really interesting. I’ve found with my focus group they all feed off one another. Opening each other’s minds to different thoughts and feelings on certain subject. I find sometimes it can go off on a tangent but can easily be rectified with a focused question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about "conversations with purpose" (Mason, 2007). I think focus groups are great as they allow ideas to emerge that you wouldn't have anticipated. It will be our responsibility to focus the conversation at times.

    Thanks for you comment, I'll check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete