Tuesday 6 November 2012

My Critical Reflections of Reader 6

Having explored my line for inquiry and the ethical issues that surround my research. I turn to Reader 6 to receive it's ideas on tools for inquiry. Acting as like an informative guide, it's sections organises the tools and recommends the importance to act and reflect, in a bid to broaden my understanding of using such research tools.

Upon designing my research Reader 6 brings my attention to the idea of qualitative and quantitative research. Quantitative being one to organise and explore statistics, I instantly feel drawn to the qualitative approach to my research. Mason (2002) describes the qualitative interview as, "conversations with purpose... A thematic, narrative approach where the researcher has a number of topics, themes or issues which they wish to cover... Designed to have fluid and flexible structure... Qualatative research should involve critical self scrutiny by the researcher, or active reflexivity. This means that researchers should contanstantly take stoke of their actions and their role in the research process" (Mason 2002). There can be a criticism that Qualitative methodology is that the findings of the research are situated (Reader 6) and therefore be specific to the position or situation. A need for a full explanation of the process is needed to overcome this criticism. Looking at the social science of what is happening, I feel that the qualitative approach will be the key in talking to tecahers and gathering their ideas. "Each approach has it's strengths and weaknesses and each is particualry suitable for a particular context. The approach adopted and the method of data collected will depend on the nature of the inquiry" (Bell, 2005). 

Looking further in to the different types of researcher tools, Bell (2005) highlights the importance of using a selection of tools to create a sense of reliability and validity to your research. Describing them as, "instruments for the job" (Bell 2005), Bell suggests by using a collection of tools you are 'cross-checking' your results and giving your research the 'trianglation' the outside world will need to accept your findings. "Asking yourself wether another researcher using your research instruments... Would be likely to get the same or similar responses" (Bell, 2005), the final idea I take form Bell is the notion of reflection. By asking myself and reflecting whilst designing my research project, one can bring a sense of validity to the research. 

Fox, Martin and Green, 2007 emphasise the importance of planning the research. From the tools to the method of collecting data, suggesting that, "common pitfalls in research include; having vague and ill-defined aims; lacking detail about research design; being overly ambitious and unrealistic in terms of scope and timetable... all leading to a lack in focus and inadequate answers to the questions" (Fox et al 2007). Fox et al advises, 
Writing a research proposal requires thinking about the beginning, course and end product... It's     important to use a framework to determine the research design... Research in the real world rarely goes according to plan, you need to respond effectively... A detailed timetable is prerequisite for a well planned research project (Fox et al, 2007).
This idea really under pins the importance of my work here on module two. It highlights the idea of only having one shot at my research and within the rigorous planning of a research project, one can preempt any issues. Thus leading to a successful inquiry.

References:

Bell, J. 2005. Doing Your Research Project. Available at : [online] http://www.dawsonera.com/depp/reader/protected/direct/AbstractView,title.$ReaderFunctions.eBookView.sdirect?state:reader/protected/AbstractView=ZH4sIAAAAAAAAAFvzloG1XJiBgYGJkYG1JLMkJ5WBNTWzOCmvhIHX0tzCwNjY1MjIxNDCoJyDAYcMABobgnRDAAAA

Fox et al, 2007. Doing Practitioner Research Approaches to Enquirey for Insider-Researchers. Available at: [online] http://www.dawsonera.com/depp/reader/protected/direct/AbstractView,title.$ReaderFunctions.eBookView.sdirect?state:reader/protected/AbstractView=ZH4sIAAAAAAAAAFvzloG1XJiBgYGJkYG1JLMkJ5WBNTWzOCmvhIHX0tzC0MLEwszAxMzUoJyDAYcMAMdy7R1DAAAA. Accessed: 06/11/2012.

Reader 6, 2012. Tools of Professional Practice, Middlesex University. Available at: [online] http://lgdata.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/docs/566/501691/BAPP_Reader_6_2012-13.pdf . Accessed: 06/11/2012.

Mason, J. 2002. Qualitative Researching. Sage Publications Ltd, London.


Reader 6 questions:

How is professional inquiry similar to other professional activity in which you are involved?

In order for me to be accepted on a PGCE course, I have had to observe experienced teachers. I will be doing a lot of observations whilst training. It seems, I have been researching and analysing what others in my profession are doing long before this module. However, hopefully through a well desingned inquiry, the outcome may be more valuable.

Do you search sources from literature, gathering information for descision making?

All the time. If there is a particular lesson I'm planning, such as clowning, I gather information from books and IT sources to support my teaching and approaches to my classes.

Do you collect points of view in order to have balanced view point?

Isn't this natural? Before I decided to return to study and become a teacher, I began to collect and compare advice from various practitioners within my networks. I now understand this collection of view points as a 'qualitative' answer. Rather than one singular answer, I collected some view points and then made my decision based on what I had found. This was different as it was unplanned.

What preparation do you need to do for your observation?

I think a good place to start here would be to use the classroom observation strategy that is used in one of my schools. Then I will be looking and judging the aspects of the teacher I eventually will be looked at. This will hopefully not only achieve a well rounded collection of data, but will be able to directly apply it to my practice for improvement. 

Are there specicfic things you want to focus on?

I want to see the difference form performer/teacher to teacher? Is it a question of presence? Relationship with the class? Or is it about knowledge?

How are you recording the data? And why?

I think I will take notes. Filming a class wouldn't give me a real-life situation. The students would inevitably be effected by being filmed and this could go against to the ethical principles of my research. I think it's important to make notes, but then instantly reflect on my findings after. I will obviously need to always talk to the head of department and the teacher to ensure their consent to the observation.

What is your own position a s an insider researcher?

This is an important point. As an actor/tecaher I need to insure that my position within the research is neutral. It could be tempting to ask leading questions to support my position as the best teacher. I am reminded that I am not trying to find answers or the best. Rather I am looking to collect data that will help me understand the holes within my practice.

What preparation do you need to do for your pilot interview?

Firstly, I need to make sure my topics/questions make sense. There is no point in wasting the opportunity to find I don't know what I'm asking. I need to manage time, allocating the different sections to the interview in regards to importance. I need to insure I have an introduction and a conclusion to discvover how it went.

What is your rationale for choosing a partucular type of interview?

I think face to face would be useful. I am trying to collect indivual view point to give me a broader understanding of something. I feel that the views of others can be affected by the company we are in. Also, am I being unrealistic about the likely hood of getting all my ideal interviewees in one room at the same time?

Have you done a covering information sheet explaining the inquiry and will you require consent forms?

I am only interviewing adults. I will ensure they know exactly what is happening to there comments and ensure I have their full support before submitting their answers.

How would using a focus group develop your line of inquiry?

It would be intersting to have different types of practitioner/teachers and see if their view points to my questions/discussion points differ or have similarities.

Are there any downsides to using this tool?

Yes. I do feel that people can be more likely to agree with another in their company. Also stronger characters can get in the way of the data I'm trying to collect.

How have other researchers analysed questionnaires?

Bell's interprting the evidence and repoting the findings checklist on page 129 (2005) gives a great answer for this...
Link:

Using the ideas from Bell 2005, I will analyse an exisisting questionaire as an exercise. I am however, not keen on using this method in my final project. This clinical and numerical nature doen't seem to serve my needs of gathering opinions of people.

Have you seen any literature that is important to understading your inquiry?

Taken from The goldsmith's PGCE reading list. I began to look at the Drama pioneers and practitioners. I wanted to see what the people who have paved the way in drama in educvation have said about the links between actor and theacher. In reading them, they really argue and create good food for discission. Interstingly the boliographies all cross over like a web an dpoint towtards each other.











  




2 comments:

  1. Ahmet you can tell from this that you have really had a go at the materials provided to 'scaffold' and structure thinking about your inquiry - like the links - as it became clear in talks with Module 3 that using these sources - now digital sources- helps to figure how how your can go about planning and analysing your practitioner research which is a part of your inquiry - put the sources in your bibliography in other words. Yes - I really like Mason - she was my ah ha moment - social world research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula,

    I really like the idea of 'scaffolding'. I have found this critical reflection most useful. Just when I was concerned of the way to go about composing a plan. In reading further on Bell (2005, Fox et al (2007) and Mason (2002) gave me the support I needed. I will definitely be using the ideas of Bell when it comes to planning my inquiry.

    Thanks,
    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete