Wednesday 13 February 2013

With feedback, comes change!

After reflecting on my module 2 feedback, this blog acts as a way to communicate the aspects I wish to change and develop within my inquiry.

Title - It needs simplifying and could do with a sense of focus and clarity. The new title is...

'Looking at London-based performers who have trained as drama teachers'.

My inquiry is of course relevant to London as it is subjective to what is happening within the education sector at this current time. It might be interesting however, to look at how others do things.  What do they do differently in New York for example? Can we learn from them?

Tools - I have also become realistic about the schedule and I have revised my list of tools to use within my practice...

BAPP Participant 1: Interview, Survey
BAPP Participant 2: Interview, Survey
JRCS Research day (4 participants): Observations, Focus group, Survey
Network Participant 1: Observation, Survey
Network Participant 2 and 3: Focus Group, Survey

Consent - I will be presenting all participants with the middlesex consent forms. They are already aware of the content within my inquiry, but I will use the consent form as verification to help overcome any ethical issues.

Literature Review - I have been searching some what in the break and have a healthy list of literature that encompasses the subject within my inquiry. I will begin my work on these next, however as my inquiry is based on the idea of performers that now teach, I think literature on the idea of transdicplinary  knowledge would be a useful path to follow for reviewing. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Artefact - My community of practice informs me that in every newly qualified drama teacher, there is the anticipated problem of a hole in the knowledge of playwrights and practitioners. When the course leader mentioned it I didn't think I would need any support in the area of knowledge, but when it was also mentioned by my inquiry mentor, my reflections gave me a concern. How much did I really know? Can we know enough? The artefact could be an opportunity to develop something that I have been meaning to do, that will support my future practice. Is a portfolio of playwrights and practitioners a way to create an artefact that will seal over any gaps of knowledge I have within the Theatre Arts.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet, As I am new to your group, I am interested to learn more about your inquiry. What is it about London based performers that you will be looking at?
    When you begin your teaching career, do you plan to stop performing yourself? Although I stopped performing quite a long time ago now, teaching was always something that I was keen to avoid as I thought it meant a definite end to any possibility of ever performing again. I would be interested to find out how people you come in contact with, throughout your inquiry, feel about this point. Does starting teaching mean ending performing? Is teaching a poor substitute?
    Looking forward to reading your blogs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Good to hear from you. Welcome to the group!!!

    I wish to inquire about the transitional journey from actor or performer to teacher. Exploring the change in approach and concept to the practitioner's practice, the steps that need to be taken to get there and the transferable skills a practitioner already has. The questions and research will guide my steps as I make changes from actor to teacher and act as preparation for teacher training. The inquiry will not only inform myself along this transitional journey, but will become a useful guide to future practitioners wishing to learn about becoming a teacher, both on the BAPP programme and beyond.

    I have stopped performing, for the meantime anyway. I felt like I needed control, hence why I came to the BAPP programme. The idea of stopping performing is a complex subject. It took me ages to pluck up the courage, I think now I'm re-channeling my thoughts about it. Does it have to be about moving on or giving up? Maybe it's about a moment of focussing on something else and then allowing doors to be opened. Although the practicalities of this can be argued I'm sure.

    Definitely up for speaking with you and I look forward to your blogs!

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good review Ahmet - I can see feedback in your planning and you have scheduling and detail in your feedback remember that some of the planning may not go to plan - will your portfolio include images and audio-visual? Continue to explore transdisiplinary knowledge. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ahmet

    Your review of your feedback is really interesting to me as our inquiries are very similar! I too have had to look at my initial plan and review a few things! I think the main issue for me is that certain aspects of my inquiry, although clear in my head, I didn't clarify enough in writing! I realised that certain points I had made had been misinterpreted.

    The other issue I need to address is literature. I noticed you too are asking for advice on this subject as it seems material on the subject is quite limited. I have found several books on career transitions from performers to other industries but not many on the performer to teacher transition.

    If you have any luck with finding useful material please let me know and I of course will return the favour!

    Hope you're well!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete