Wednesday 10 October 2012

TASK 4d: Award Title Rationale

My rational began towards the end of module one. After much thought, I began to have conversations with Paula Nottingham and other practitioners. This is what I came up with...

BA Hons Professional Practice in Drama and the Theatre Arts.

I feel like it does what is says on the tin. My reflections, questions and comments from others  have pointed out that I feel my expertise is in Drama and the Theatre Arts. 
It is important to me to have both disciplines in my title. Drama acknowledges my work and knowledge of the creativity of the Dramatic Arts, the practice within the Drama classroom I do now and will do more of in the future. It is also important to me that I acknowledge my work as a professional in the Theatre Arts for the past 10 years. My experience is a valuable thing and is something that makes me stand out. I want my title to encompass what I have done, what I do now and what I want to do whilst expressing my expertise in my field too.

I am about to apply for  a PGCE course next week and need to start calling my degree something. Any help or comments would be appreciated. What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I love this expression 'does what it says on the tin'!! Made me smile. I think your reasoning for your title is spot on and this is a great idea for an award title. Thank you for your comments on my award title. I have written an answer to your questions under your comment on my blog' Task 4d. I hope this helps.

    Thanks

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca, your comments and questions are really helping me shape my learning in part 4...

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ahmet,

    I think the title is great - I am just wondering does the title need the word "the" before "Theatre Arts"? (I feel picky writing that on here, but we have discussed it on the phone previously, have we not!? ;-))

    I like the fact that you have chosen to use both Drama and Theatre Arts within the title as this gives you scope for future work.

    Your vast experience, skills and knowledge gained from training at Arts Ed and working within Theatre Arts has enabled you to build on your drama expertise through teaching, coaching and directing.
    You have an invaluable skill set that needs to be shown within your title. I think this title does exactly that.

    Do you have any ideas about the title for your inquiry? Will it be a zoomed-in version of this title or will it be something abstract?? I'm nowhere near either of these yet, so bear with me and feel free to question and comment!!
    Best Wishes,
    Jo.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jo,

    I think I know the area of my inquiry but I'm get to give it a label or title. I think I have a purpose for it, which is a good place to start.

    I'm really looking forward to hearing what shape your award title will take..?

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  5. As part of my rationale, I had an email conversation with Paula Nottingham. She raised a valid question of why both Drama and Theatre Arts. I wanted to put my reply to her up here...

    'My experience is in the Theatre Arts (this encompasses acting, musical
    theatre and teaching at drama schools) and this needs to be in the title.
    Within this discipline I have developed an expertise and will be working
    more with the discipline of Drama (this includes my recent development as
    a drama teacher in schools). I really need to acknowledge my previous
    practice, but also serve the practice I do now and am working towards.
    Drama and Theatre Arts will serve my CV and future needs from this
    course'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahmet talked to you about this in email - interesting that title takes time and consideration. Should be open, represent past education, current work activity. I also explained that we are trying to simplify the process this year with a new form but do not want to take away the element of personal choice. We go over these title at our Media and Performing Arts sub-board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ahmet, did you have any more thoughts on your degree title? How did you come to your final decision if so?
    Im in the same position at the moment. I have chosen my inquiry title which took me quite a while, but am now stuck on my degree title?? I want it to encompass my current practice so is relevant to my career path going forward whilst having a strong degree title. I understand the board are quite strict and Im 'bubble charting' ideas at the moment trying to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete