Wednesday 31 October 2012

2nd Campus Session

As always it was good to be there in the flesh and plug in to the live energy of the BAPP programme.

We started off by discussing our inquiry. We were all at such different stages in the module and there was a feeling of individuality in terms of where we are at in the journey of module 2.

We then opened up the complex world of Ethics. This was a high point of many discussion, some heated and some reflective. It really pinpointed the idea that Ethics is everywhere and there was no one thing to learn about it. The idea of perspective and opinion gives the notion of complexity to ethical principals.

Upon reflection in my journal on my way home. I made an important realisation. Adesola made a point that, "ethics are a sensation, as appose to a thing". I can't say I really understood this at first. However my journal began to undo this idea and it began to resonate in my head. Ethical principals aren't a list to be learnt or a tangible thing. You can't touch it. "It's more a feeling, a sensation that surrounds everybody. It encompasses all of society and is the moralistic theme that acts as an umbrella over me as a professional" (Ahmet, A. 2012).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ahmet,

    It was good to meet you at the session for module two. The discussion proved that ethics is a complex theme that doesn’t give a single answer to a moral problem, but provides a guideline to make good choices.

    We make choices everyday that are guided by a sensation that comes from within us to do the right thing. The session really made me dig deeper into my consciousness and question when, where and by whom my ethical framework was defined.

    Although ethical principles are not tangible the effect of acting out these principles are. As professionals we must, therefore, reflect on our own moral code and that of the organisation we represent to ensure we provide the most effective service in our industry.

    Thulani

    ReplyDelete