Friday 2 March 2012

TASK 2b cont. - Different Modes of Journal.

After posting my blog, Journal Writing Experience, I decided to explore the journal further. As I reflected on the task, it focuses on how to right your journal, but I was interested in discovering different ways in which to keep a journal. I thought would be interesting to stay with the idea of my journal, but give them a fusion of different themes. In composing this blog i did have a difficult dilemma to deal with. The privacy of my journal is still something very important to me, ideally I would have attached and linked the different journal mode as examples. however to maintain the respect of the confidentiality of my journal, I will only describe the modes of journal.

Video Journal - A great idea to capture thoughts and feelings through speech. Almost like meeting a friend for coffee or lunch, you can sit and talk about yourself. In doing so you will be reflecting and recording good food for new ideas.

Sound Track Journal - I have been doing this in my written journal. I basically pick a song at the end of my journal that sums up the particular mood and atmosphere, so if the journal was read aloud it would make a fantastic underscoring to the piece. To list a few we have, Out here on my own - Fame; Don't worry, be happy - Bob Marley; Rainy days and Mondays - The Carpenters; I believe the children are our future - Whitney Huston; Marry the night - Lady Gaga. this is a really fun idea and can add colour to the journal entry and help the reflective process be a bit interesting. It could be used for all sorts of ideas, such as what movie would I be? Or food?

Voice Journal - Especially effective when you are on the move, a voice journal is a both time simple and easy. Here you are introducing another sense in the equation, on only the words become a reflective tool but the tone, pitch and pace of the voice can play a huge part in learning about our thoughts and feelings.

Poem Journal - One for the arty types, a poem journal is a great way of digging deep into feeling and bringing up all kinds of ideas that lie otherwise buried. Poetry has been used as a therapeutic tool for years, it was no surprise that I thought of this.

Drawing/Painting Journal - Another therapeutic approach, but for those people who feel laguasizing their feelings difficult, one could draw or paint any kind of abstract piece or even mold a piece of clay, all in the name of reflection. This could help you visually see something that you failed to see through words.

Dance Journal - Not one for me, but why not communicate your journal entry through movement and dance. There maybe a continuing theme that might be brought to your attention, or a new idea could arise from a particular shape or movement of reflection.

Montage journal - Again the people who tend to lean towards the visual journal might prefer this, as can be done both digitally and in hard copy. This enables you to look outward and search for images and artifacts that reflect what you feel. In doing his, great ideas can come to you, but this time as you are looking outside yourself, you could stumble across an idea that your mind would not have been open to. It might be like pushing the boundries of your reflection. A great tool for the beginning process of your work.

Looking further into the task has enabled me to affirm the creativity that comes with keeping a journal, not only by the way I write it, but by the different forms or modes it can appear in. Whatever I'm using, as long as I'm looking back and reflecting, food is given to my new ideas.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet
    You've given a great deal of thought about the different modes of journal. I certainly didn't think about those other modes apart from writing and recording audio and visual, so you've opened up ideas for me too.
    I think you've given good comparisons and justifications.

    The only thing is that my moods and emotions change so I may not be in the same mood when I read back my entry as when I wrote it the first time.... I try not to write about my emotions if I'm recording data about my job etc. I do have another journal for my emotional entries though..

    This was a very interesting read.
    Best wishes
    Corinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ahmet,

    Well I must admit, like Corinda I have never thought about using all these different methods for my journal, but then again I haven't even started my journal yet! Next week is my week for getting my journal in order and making a plan.

    Having said that, as a contradiction, I often find myself using mind-mapping as a tool to process my thoughts and feelings, to move forwards. So maybe I have started a journal, just using yet another method..?

    For me personally, I imagine that my journal will take a practical approach, rather than emotional. I am hoping that it will be a place to write down my ideas and thoughts about my business and the course and how I aim to progress. I do not tend to write an emotional journal, but then again maybe that would be a good idea too...?

    I love your concept of using a song to describe your mood at the time of writing / recording your journal. You are indeed a true creative! :-)

    Thank you for sharing this - It has been a really useful post Ahmet.

    Jo.x

    ReplyDelete