Wednesday 21 March 2012

BranchOut - Is it the next best thing?

An friend called me today telling me I needed to see the latest networking revolution on faceboook. We were discussing professional networking on our last meet and she saw this new facebook tool and thought she'd point it out to me.


BranchOut - "In today's economy there are two competitive advantages that you must have. The first is a positive online presence, and the second is a “social” layer of your career. By social we mean real relationships, your family and friends on Facebook. BranchOut provides both in a way that is 100% professional."


Take a look: http://branchout.com/about/productTour


It seems remove the social elements of professional networking on facebook and also may help to alleviate any confidentiality issues us practitioners are experiencing, thus creating a perfect platform for making connections to fellow professionals. Further more, not only do you connect to your existing facebook contacts, but it can be used as a tool to connect to your contact's contacts. Suddenly not only are your doors of opportunity open to new connections, so is everybody else's, they are all waiting for you to participate in a larger scale network. It's all set up around your profile and you list your areas of professional interest and it claims to improve your professional online image and bring another layer to your career. Could this be the tool I could use to help me make those future connections? What do you make of it? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet! My name is Ali and I am BranchOut's Community Manager. I wanted to thank you for using BranchOut and sharing your sentiments. If you have any questions, I am happy to be a resource.

    community@branchout.com

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison,

      Wow! How did you manage to see my blog post? It's great that you got in touch...

      I have a question, facebook has been apart of the change in the way people communicate in the world today. I'm seeing more and more devleopments of the idea now. Lots of social technology sites are cornering off and becoming less general, BranchOut for example is specific to the professional. Is this the way social media is going? Is there yet again another communication revolution happening?

      What are your thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Ahmet

      Delete
  2. Alison's email below...

    Hi Ahmet,

    That is a great observation! I have noticed it myself. Not sure if we have enough information to speculate, but it is something to be aware of in 2012.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete