Wednesday 7 March 2012

Summary of Part 2, Module 1

A pattern is forming, I work on a part in a module, I have a skype session with Paula Nottingham, I blog a summary to mark the notion that I'm moving on. I like patterns, I find them comforting, with the insecurity that comes with the unknown future tasks, I take comfort in a bit of order and structure to the way I blog the tasks. I'm finding that I am developing a real style in my approach to the tasks and breaking old thought patterns, a new outlook on my work is developing and hopefully an improved one. Part 2 enabled me to explore the world of critical reflection. On my journey I looked into the idea of keeping a journal and established it's role within my practice. Then I explored the many different ways to write your journal and the benefits to the different methods, exploring this further I played with the various modes of journal too, being as creative as possible with the reflective tools. I then took a look at what the theories behind reflective practice were, I wanted to understand what they were saying and see it's relevance to my practice. My final stop in the journey was to look at the ideas of those in my practice, who do I agree with? Who do I admire? What further inquiries would this bring? At first reader 2 alarmed me, but then I'm learning that all readers will probably do the same, I just hope I learn to manage this shock I seem to get every time I'm presented with a set of new ideas on the course. When I started the course, it was words like 'reflection' that made me aware of the work that was cut out for me. I learn that the fear of the unknown isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's like the sort of fear and adrenaline you have before a performance. I use it to enter into a new set of ideas with caution and carefully observe everything, then decide what I am to do with the information presented to me. Not so scary after all...

Question

Can I just move on from task 2 or do I need to check with Paula?

I'm still clinging on to 'miss please hold me hand' mode. I need to really establish a confidence in my learning and my decisions, putting it more candidly, I'm my own boss on the course and I need to grow up. I need to stop playing for approval and get on with the tasks, that is where the learning is. So no more 'please miss' - just get on with it.

My online rapport with other students isn't really happening? I'm not really getting comments, is this a timing thing? Do I need to slow down and publish fewer posts so I can match the timing of others?


Comments on the blogs are very important. It supports the whole idea of community interaction that Web 2.0 supports. I found that I am finding it difficult to get people to read my work and strike up conversations with them. As if by magic Liam Conman publised the following post, http://tmcofliam.blogspot.com/2012/03/effective-blogging-how-to-encourage.html. He created a sort of trouble shooting guide to effective blogging. It really helped and I will endeavour to improve my online relationships.

Additional reading


This was an intense read, David Kolb's scientific approach to reflection was definitely exploring the theory of a subject in a way I haven't experienced before. I was particularly interested in the learning cycle.

Put into words, the figure illustrates that concrete experiences come through the sensory cortex, reflective observation involves the integrative cortex at the back, creating new abstract concepts occurs in the frontal integrative cortex, and active testing involves the motor brain. In other words, the learning cycle arises from the structure of the brain (Kolb, 2005).


It was interesting for me to take his cycle and apply it to the reflection I do in my practice. Learning about how I learn is important. Twyla Tharp supported this idea in my next additional reading choice,


“the better you know yourself, the more you will know when you are playing to your strengths”(Tharp, 2006).


 Tharp created an interesting argument that using words as reflection isn't always useful and the practitioner can use any method suitable to them, such as muscle memory.


Jennifer Moon's book enabled me to have a greater understanding of my journal and really pinpointed what it's job actually is,


“A learning journal is essentially a vehicle for reflection” (Moon, 2006).  Jennifer Moon describes a learning journal, “as a personal development plan, a ‘progress file’ or a record of achievement” (Moon, 2006).

Understanding brings control, in having a good concept of my journal and the use of it as reflective practice, I can use it as a tool to investigate my ideas.

Final Summary

I find my new learning exiting, I think I have always reflected, as artist do it naturally. What interests me is my growing knowledge of the tools I can consciously, not habitually use to improve my professional practice. Having a concept of reflection will enable me to put my ideas through a systematic process and use my journal to brew new ideas. As always the tasks are unfinished and subject to interaction online, their presences lives on through my blog and I intend to engage in these conversations and learn more from the ideas of others. Finally I notice that I need to develop a confidence in my voice within my academic writing. It seems I don't trust my views fully and quote the ideas of others too often. I hope that in time I will establish a professional, academic voice that stands up on it's own, but takes inspiration from others. I went a bit crazy on the last piece of work and cited every point I made, I now understand that it needs to be a balance. I hope to create a piece that contains my ideas on the page, but clearly displays the ingredients for how I got there.

References:

Kolb, D et al, 2005. Learning styles and learning Spaces: Enhancing experiential learning in higher education [online] Available from: http://rt5vx6na7p.search.serialssolutions.com/?ctx_ver=Z39.88- 2004&ctx_enc=info%3Aofi%2Fenc%3AUTF- 8&rfr_id=info:sid/summon.serialssolutions.com&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev :mtx:journal&rft.genre=article&rft.atitle=Learning+Styles+and+Learning+Sp aces%3A+Enhancing+Experiential+Learning+in+Higher+Education&rft.jtitle =Academy+of+Management+Learning+%26+Education&rft.au=Alice+Y+Ko l
b&rft.au=David+A+Kolb&rft.date=2005-06-01&rft.issn=1537- 260X&rft.volume=4&rft.issue=2&rft.spage=193&rft.externalDBID=AMLE& rft.externalDocID=866536871 [accessed 24 Feb 2012]
Moon, J. 2006, A handbook for Reflective Practice and Professional Development [online], Available from: http://www.dawsonera.com/depp/reader/protected/external/AbstractView/S97 80203969212 [accessed 24 Fen 2012]
Tharp, T. 2006. The creative habit: Learn it and use it for life: a practical guide, New York, Simon & Schuster









8 comments:

  1. Ahmet you have done so much work which is all so thought provoking. You can already see development throughout your posts, looking at it objectively and from a variety of angles. I thoroughly enjoy catching up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Simone, it's nice to hear someone enjoying my work - takes long enough...

    It's great that a interactive community is started to form on hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second this Ahmet, I can't believe how much good work you're putting up here, you are clearly taking the BAPP course within your stride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JP, the course means a lot to me as I am using it as a vehicle to change my career and life.

      Delete
  4. Great example of a reflection here.
    Just to push for more I wonder if you are looking for some 'right' way to do things, a right way to experience the process, to do the process. But I would suggest that just being in it, just being engaged in it is the goal. Of course you are learning progressively but think of it as a dance there are steps side ways and backwards as well as forwards. This gets back to the patterns you talk about. I mean that it is the patterns themselves that are interesting don't judge which pattern is the 'right' one. That is were the courage you hint at comes in, in finding your voice, in allowing yourself to just be and trusting that is ok for this moment and then loving each moment enough not to return to what was ok before but to 'be' again.

    What do you think / feel about this?

    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, I enjoyed reflecting on the questions you brought up.

      I think knowing your learning style is important. Tharp talks about knowing who you are is important as it means you can play to your strengths. I do like regularity and I enjoy having structure. I'm not sure this means I'm searching for the 'right' way of doing things. I think that if the foundations of my learning has a pattern, it could suggest that I have a comfortable platform in which to be in the present moment and allow myself to just be. Maybe I see it like breathing exercises before the meditation (prana yama). I agree that one should be brave and never get too comfortable, it's this notion that brought me to the course, maybe I need to experiment with changing the pattern, to see what effect that has? I noticed in previous journal/blogs that this very blog spot enables me to always remain in a position of engagement with the tasks. The very fact that the door never closes on my work and through commenting, my work is allowed to breath and live online. On this basis I feel I am able to fully engage with the process as my ideas are under the constant influence of the people on the BAPP programme and beyond. They are something I never leave behind, in which ever direction I move, left, right, back or up, I can always refer to them as food for the journey.

      I wondered, is there any exercises or activities you do that helps you practice just being?

      Ahmet

      Delete
  5. Ahmet - thanks for this discussion - very thought provoking as Module 1 is about thinking about styles of learning and how these can be applied to our professional lives. I think a lot of people are reluctant to carry out tasks if they are not sure that what they are doing is the same as the 'brief'. In professional practice literature this is mentioned because for many professionals, getting it 'wrong' in the workplace has undesirable consequences (loss of job!), therefore the term 'learning' is often not used for professionals because they need to be seen as have expertise not needing 'training'!

    With BAPP taking a continued professional development approach, 'thinking about learning' can once again be reviewed because you are in a place where it is a positive thing to do this and risk (personal/professional) taking while learning is heralded rather than frowned upon. I think by Part 3, which is external looking, you will reach a zone that is different than where you started but you can identify as your own. The progression to that place, as you mention, is a part of the experience of learning, and that is reflective practice....

    I think the them for my PGCHE course next semester will be 'integration' - a nice concept word and one that relates to Jo Gunnel's idea of 'fusion' in the music industry. On you last question - many seem to find the ideas of 'praxis' helpful. Have a google but steer clear of too much history or it will do your head in - it did mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praxis. This is a new idea to me. Found a good website... http://www.infed.org/biblio/b-praxis.htm. An informed and committed action. This is hard to practice, I think as a society we are conditioned to focus on the value of an action. I do have an understanding for engaging in an action for the mere experience, but find that I have to keep reminding myself of this and realign my thoughts back to the theme of praxis. I do see the benefits from being present, I can't promise I will always be able to practice it successfully, but an awareness is developing. "Awareness is the key to change." Tolle, E. 2008. Thanks Paula.

    ReplyDelete