Tuesday 21 February 2012

TASK 2a - Reflective Practice: My Journal

In one of my earlier posts titled, the journey begins tomorrow, I talk about starting a journal for the course. It was the night before the induction day and it felt like an ideal time to start recording my thoughts and feelings towards my studies. Not sure if I actually consciously decided this, but I feel like I should point out, as I read the journal back so far, it does have thoughts about my practice too, "Titanic opened yesterday, it was fantastic and I enjoyed being a director. I feel like the students really learnt from me and I loved passing on my knowledge to them. Exhausting though." Ahmet, A, 2012. It's not just about the course, but then that's not a huge surprise as the course is about my practice.

What I find interesting, is the comparison of my journal to my blog. Firstly there is no way I could let anyone involved on the BAPP programme read the whole journal. It really is a private space, where I feel I can hold that pen and projectile vomit all these words. I have no idea where it comes from, it's not structured or planned. It just pours out of my mind and uses my pen as a channel of release. This got me thinking, is any of this stuff valid or is it just rubbish? Where does it come from? Is it the sort of things you say in an arguement you don't really mean? Maybe by sifting through the rubbish and after careful reflection of a journal, one can find good ideas. However in comparison to the blog, I see it as free writing time, I don't have to think about spelling, grammar or structure. I'ts a place I can go to and express what I really think with out judgement. My blog is different, it has an audience and a reputation. It puts me on a platform for people to explore my ideas and there is opportunity for judgement and interaction. I have to say, I have taken to the blog. I am a performer after all and I like an audience, I like to shout about new ideas and tell people about a particular new discovery. 

Just then I stopped writting and sat back and thought (on-line reflection). I've just realised that my blog needs my journal. In order for me to do well in these tasks, I need to be well practiced in reflection. I need to be able to reflect alone in my journal and then communicate that reflection to the rest of the world in my blog. "Writing is a way of puzzling through what is happening in our work and our personal lives." Boud, D, 2001. My practice is all about gathering ideas and communicating that to people, with out the initial reflection that happens in the journal I wouldn't be able to establish my ideas and the developing process they go through. I need to know an idea before I can understand and communicate. I think my journal helps me keep attune to my ideas and helps me know what is missing for my knowledge, "Understanding what you don't know is important because it is the first stage of learning." Akinleye, A 2011-12.

The plan:

In task 2b, I will set myself the nine day journal challenge. I want to discover the nine different ways of writing my journal, once completed I want to blog my thoughts on each one. I am hoping this will allow me to explore the world of journal writing and lead me to some conclusion to my questions above. Once I've done this, I hope to read from the additional reading list to hopefully cement these new ideas, ready for task 2c. Then I want to look at the different forms of keeping  journal, such as video or voice and play with the idea of not writing anything - maybe even a dance journal? Then again, maybe not.

References:

Boud, D, 2001, Work-based learning: a new higher education, society for research into higher education, SRHE and Open University Press imprint

Akinleye, A, 2011-12,  Reader 2, the reflective practitioner, Middlesex University.

Ahmet, A, 2012, My BAPP Journal. 


2 comments:

  1. Ahmet, you are right about your journal being very private. It is just of your own private use. It sounds as if you are channeling. I'm learning about channeling for my own private use, but that's a whole new story. I can confirm that your journal will give you the ammunition/substance needed for reflection and critical analysis you will need for this course. I found writing my journal valuable for this course and therapeutic at the same time... I too wanted to keep integrity whilst writing my blog, after all we are in the public eye and it's how we want to be perceived. It takes years to build a good reputation. I think you have good insight so far to what is need for this BAPP course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly do hear stories about teachers etc loosing their job. So at least the journal is for my eyes only. I guess the more you invest in your journal, the more substance you'll have for later reflection...

      Delete