Sunday 5 February 2012

TASK 1b: Reader in Professional communication technologies (part 3 - Stage Status)

Looking further on my task on reader one. As if by pure coincidence, I came across a new communication technology platform, it was introduced to me via face book message by a work colleague. Allow me to introduce to you the new Web 2.0 platform, Stage Status.

It is the only theatrical networking site, connecting people form all backgrounds, in the performing arts industry. I thought this was a brilliant idea. In my previous blogs on task 1b, I explored the impact communication networks can have on my practice, but this takes it to a whole new level. Yes it works exactly the same as any other communication platform, but this is specific to my industry. We are all heading for the same thing and have the same mantra - Performing arts. Its like one big theatrical party full of potential useful connections to make, only thing is, you can do it from your laptop at home in your pyjamas. This got me thinking, is this now the new generation for communication technology sites? Will they start cornering off and becoming specific to who is on the guest list?

I also thought about networking in the performing industry. We all know those people that go to the right events, source out the most influential people and make sure they are sitting at the right table. Judge them as people do, they are the ones networking and probably succeeding in the expansion of their career. Stage Status allows you to connect to these people without feeling like you are the ambitious 'it girl' at a party. It eradicates any negativity around networking because everyone is on the site to connect, that's why they're on the site and they want to hear from you. Suddenly you are networking and connecting, but instead of having to search for the connection, its already there waiting for an approach. Everyone is there for one reason only, they have performing arts in common and they want to hear from you...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ahmet, I have been reading bits of your blog all day while I have been doing my work for the first reader, I think your writing is really great. I find it interesting that you are really positive about the web 2.0, with a slight exception of maybe twitter...I feel I may be controversial in feeling slightly more uneasy about them, I definitely feel a little like I'm trying to be the "it girl" not comfortable asking people to read what I think/ do, whether in person or online! However I think your find of Stage Status is a really good one, self promotion on a specific network like that one and also this for the BAPP seems a little less painful. Thank you for sharing it.
    look forward to reading more of you work,
    Danni.

    ReplyDelete