Thursday 2 February 2012

TASK 1b: Reader in Professional communication technologies

My thoughts on the first reader...

After reading reader 1 twice, I decided to do my own research to see if I could retrieve something that might make this whole subject a little clearer for me. That was when I made my first discovery, as I was about to find out Web 2.0 really is a whole world of communication technology. Like anything I goggled it and searched around and nothing really caught my eye. My next step was to search it on You tube, I chose the video with the highest views and watched it (I've linked it below):-



And then I found this video, this one is really good:-


And then I realised. Not only have I just participated in professional communication technology, I have been doing so as part of my personal life and professional practice for years. This then lead me to the idea, that Web 2.0 is an important aspect of communication in the world today. I had no idea what web 2.0 was and I was unknowingly using one of its applications to find out.

I could then go back to the reader with a different attitude, one that allowed me to look at Tim O'Reilly's meme and identify with most (not all) of the diagram and understand this so called phenomenon. The words that stuck out most to me in this section of the reader were 'Architectures of Participation', the idea that this very tool of communication is built on the basis that everyone gets involved and interacts. The very foundations are based on people collaborating and sharing and this keeps the application alive. I was then introduced to remix culture. An exciting platform that enables people to redecorate materials such as photos or music and share their opinions and banter over artifacts of media. Then a new term is born, the 'prosumer'. An idea that producer and consumer are combined and in control. Artifacts are under constant development and ever changing.

Suddenly this all gets really exciting, studies from Feenberg and Bakardjieva conclude that Web 2.0 is an excellent tool in building and developing relationships. It promotes connectivity beyond people's community circle and brings contact to all types of people from different backgrounds. Further more, all you need is an internet connection to get to them. Suddenly I'm aware of what this all means to me as a professional practitioner, Web 2.0 platforms are the modern key to expansion and promotion for me as a performer/teacher. Through the liberation of data and contacts, I find freedom in having access to a world of communication. It's not just about who you know in my industry anymore, its about who are you connecting to using a Web 2.0?...



No comments:

Post a Comment