Tuesday 2 April 2013

Reflection: My Professional Voice

I just got home from Barcelona. Having made contacts for work in Munich, I had a last minute invite to be a performance judge for Dance World Cup Spain also. It was a fantastic experience full of performance and young artistic passion.

As I sat sipping my cortado in the sun in a cafe in Saint Pere, I pull my journal out and begin to reflect. I used the flight to continue working on my critical review, but thought it was high time to reflect and tune into my learning. I wanted to share the following journal entry.

I met the group of Spanish practitioners I will be working with today, it all started of very polite and nice and we all agreed on ideas that emerged about performing arts. As the day went on, it was discovered that we all had a particular expertise and this was the reason we were all there, to give perspective on the results of the panel. At the end of the day, we all sat in a meeting and began to express our ideas for what defines a good performer. This was interesting, we all had very different voices on this subject. What I recognise now, is my ability to stand on my own feet with my ideas, feeling brave enough to challenge ideas I don't agree with and remain critical in my listening to ensure I have an open, developmental attitude to learning new ideas. This is a change in my thinking that I definitely link to my studies here on the BAPP course. Before I would have probably followed the status quo, but now I have developed a professional voice that people understand not only within my community of practice, but beyond.


4 comments:

  1. It would be great to hear what peoples views are on a good performer. My inquiry is based on the performance standards in the school that I teach and that of which is expected in the professional industry. Finding what is missing with in the classes and how I can help and improve.

    Regarding your learning, it definitely takes a lot to get the happy medium with voicing your opinions as well as listening without either being opinionated or shy. I would prefer for someone to challenge my ideas and thoughts than agree with everything I say! That's just boring! My acting teachers quote was, "Conflict creates drama".
    It does not necessarily have to big and dramatic!
    Kimberly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahmet,
    This course has been such a valuable lesson and learning curve for you. Having been introduced to critical thinking of your own work and that of others has enabled you to broaden your horizons and your belief in your own professional practice. Hearing the confidence within your written (and spoken) word, I hear a mature professional who is continuously striving to learn more from his own and other's work. I look forward to the next episode...I'm sure it will be just around the corner!
    Welcome back to terra firma!
    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you're getting these opportunities to use your skills abroad - it's so nice when one job leads to another isn't it?

    Like you - I've found that the BAPP course has really helped me to feel more confident about articulating my opinions within my professional community. I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that we've developed our critical thinking so much - I am getting loads better at articulating my ideas, whereas before they often felt quite abstract and I kept them to myself.

    Also, it somehow seems much easier to ask for help or opinions when it's under the guise of academic 'research'. I may just lie in the future and just tell people I'm doing research in order to chat to people about things I find interesting (although of course that wouldn't be very ethical!)

    Look forward to speaking more soon.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for you comments. I'm sure the BAPP programme has developed all of our thinking in ways that have surprised us all. I think we would all agree, rather than passively learning something, we have been able to organise our ideas and grow a confidence over our practice taht was missing before.

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete