Tuesday 3 April 2012

TASK 3c - Sources of information

I now look at my network in the theme of the concept 'connetcivism', but rather than people, this is about exploring those connections that provide me with information. Be it job vacancies, lesson plan ideas or general practice knowledge, it's good to stop and reflect on where this information is coming from and it's importance to my practice.

1. Google - No surprise, but if I don't know or understand something, my first activity is to google it. Then Google can act as a information switch board, giving me the possibilities of data to connect me too. The down fall can be that the information is subject to the amount of hits it gets, for example a really useful artifact might not necessarily get to you through google if it is not at the top of the hit list. However google seems to be a good place to start and can creates a good departure for a journey to discover the unknown.

2. YouTube - If you want to know how it's done and you are running out of time, go to YouTube. It provides me with videos of class room ideas and even whilst teaching, a quick click on YouTube can provide speedy backing music for the students scenes. It's importance became apparent to me when devising my comedy/cabaret character. It was through YouTube I was able to study and imitate the celebrity I now imitate, the characterisation was purely dependent on being able to study the person using YouTube.

3. TES - A great website that provides teaching resources. I recommend this to any teacher, from drama warm ups to full lesson plans, it's an interactive site that gives me inspiration when I'm stuck and provides me with the answers when I'm unsure. It can make me feel a little uncreative and I can feel like I'm cheating or stealing other teachers ideas. But then, it is a resource sharing site, isn't that the point? Still, when it's late at night and I can't think of what to do in my class the next morning, TES provides the information.

4. Facebook - Flag it up on facebook. It happens all the time, if you are in need of information, by doing a massive shout out on facebook, you'll be sure to get a collection of comments back. All hopefully point towards the answer. Event invites, photos and groups can also be obtained from the site, there is no denying that as well as connecting people, data is another pull to the social networking site. I use it to know whats happening in the industry, it seems facebook knows about the latest movements within my practice before the newspapers do.

5. Friends and Colleagues - Be it a particular play, advice on a job offer or help with a drama lesson, it's always an easy option to speak to your network to gain the relevant information that keeps your practice running smoothly. People in my industry tend to be passion about what they do and they are generally happy to provide you with what you need. The concept of cooperation may come in here, in that if I'm asking for some information, I always like to see what I can offer back as a reward.

That's my five, I now look forward to what my other fellow BAPP students use as sources of information. I'm hoping to gain a few information portholes I had not considered before. Through commenting I hope to learn more about the sources of information available to me.

I look forward to your comments and commenting...




6 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of looking at this concept in, as you put, 'connectivism'. It is as brutal as it may same ways in which we can further ourselves within our careers. Have you noticed the change in your 'connections' as you further established yourself, or even as you've researched this idea further? I've found that as this course has unraveled I've realised more and more the importance or the internet and communication, is this the same for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree, I think the course, especially the first part on communcication technology really points out the presence of connectivism and it's relation to my practice. When I first started working communication technology wasn't that present, not like now as it seems to encompass my practice. Communication technology has changed my practice in that it has given me a sense of freedom over my connections, also I have more of a hands on role with them as appose to leaving it to my agent. I can do the networking myself now, before hand, it was left to your agent really. Communication technology has change the way we communicate as professionals it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ahmet. I had not thought about using the TES website for ideas for lessons, so thank you, I feel this would be beneficial, especially in planning drama lessons (as this is my second subject). Its good to see you have included friends and colleagues as I feel personally that this is often the most inspirational part of my network. Did you put them as number 5 as the other sources are more useful or our important to you? I am wondering if I should use the internet more widely to increase independant learning. I worry about reducing my support network of people. What made you list your sources in this particular order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TES is a great one for me, glad to hear you use it too. They are in no particular order really, I just went through my last places I went to to draw information from and these 5 kept coming up in my memories.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ahmet

    Thank you for sharing the TES website. I had never seen or heard of this before so I had a little look after reading your blog. I have joined and hope that it adds to my skills. I am most comfortable teaching dance and singing but it seems like this website will offer the support I need to improve my drama teaching. its exciting when you discover something new so thank you very much!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ahmet, it was interesting reading your Blog on this task. I also had not heard of the TES website, so I will research this. I like the way you have linked this task to "Connectivism" and therefore focussed your five sources on Web 2.0. I grouped all my website sources and therefore only had Web 2.0 as one source!
    Look forward to reading more as I progress through the next modules.

    ReplyDelete