Sunday 10 March 2013

Collaborations and a good old catch up!

I want to stop and reflect on my BAPP SIG. I met this fellow BAPP student in module one and be it similarity in age and background, I seemed to relate to her position within the course and we began to collaborate our experiences, struggles and ideas. Since then be it within a semester or during module limbo, touching base and merging ideas has been a regular activity. After my weekly routine telephone conversation with her today, our reflections informed us how fascinating it was that despite starting the course 'in the same boat', our inquiries have taken us to different paths and paved a different journey for both of us. Still it feels good to connect with her and establish where I'm at and offer and receive advice. Today my SIG gave me some fantastic advice, a real light bulb moment. As I began to talk her through my what my findings may look like, I was explaining that my CV may confuse people as it will have graduated in 2013, giving them the wrong impression that I am fresh out of University with no experience. She advised me to always insert 'Work Based Learning', which would help explain my profession situation. This is of course a fantastic idea and her advice was received with thanks, it is a great way to help paint my story and point out my experience on my CV. I now understand the importance for conversing with my SIG, not only in terms of my inquiry, but my experience on this course. As I reflect on my BAPP journey so far, this practitioner has definitely enriched my academic path. I am grateful to Jo Clarke for her support and collaboration within my SIG and my inquiry. Thank you!

How is everyone else finding their SIGs? I hope you are finding the collaboration within them as useful as I am...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet, Oh! (a little embarrassed, but appreciative of the mention on your Blog! :-) )

    I too have found our chats and emails really useful and supportive as we appear to have found a common ground of respecting one another's thoughts and opinions, yet feeling comfortable about challenging one another with questions and ideas that we have found and recognised without offence. This I believe to be a turning point for us both as at the beginning of module one, we were apprehensive about writing on our blog and even more so about commenting on those of other's!

    I now find myself learning so much from other people's Blogs. Information, ideas, opinions and discoveries, that I can reflect back on my own practice. I think it is important to acknowledge the relationships that emerge.

    I can only hope that my Blog has a reciprocal effect for other students.

    I look forward to our next conversation / debate / discussion / transference of information. :-)

    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,

      Yes I agree about the turning point you mention. Together I really feel we have been establishing our critical voice and trying out ways to communicate effectively in our professional practice.

      Speak soon,

      Ahmet

      Delete
  2. Hi Ahmet,
    I think this is a wonderful post, a true reflection of the 'networking' that should run throughout the entirety of the course. Though I may not have been as active in communication via phone etc I have found the use of these blogs and indeed the SIG groups very useful throughout this project. Even just reading about everyones discoveries has been truly helpful to my individual situation, as well as interesting to know what everyone else is learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone.

      I agree, as hard as it is to get motivated on blogging it's really a great way to attune yourself with the process of the course. It's great to hear that you also have this discovery...

      Speak soon,

      Ahmet

      Delete
  3. Hi Ahmet,

    after reading your post I've realised I've been doing something wrong...I'm not receiving the amount of information that I desired from my SIG. I'm planning my inquiry as we speak and need more feedback. Can you suggest any ideas to help boost activity?

    Many Thanks

    JP :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JP,

    Good to hear from you. It's so tough. I'd say a couple of things that help is to keep maintaining their interest in your inquiry. You need to nurse your connections. But most importantly 'Cooperation' is a networking theory that could really help. Offer things in return... If they are also inquiring, how can you help their inquiry? If they are in your network, could they benefit from something for you. Put it this way, during my this time of connecting to my SIG, I bought a lot of coffees...

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks.

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete