Saturday 9 March 2013

A Taster of My Analysis.

What skills do actors naturally have, before teacher training, that are directly transferable to the drama classroom? This question was asked to all practitioners that teach in schools. They have been grouped into ex-performer teachers and non-performer teachers. While the ex-performers gave me a colourful, complex discussion about the pros and cons of ex-performers that teach and what they can offer before training, at JRCS, there seemed to be a unified feeling that, "performers don't necessarily make good drama teachers" (Non-Performer D, 2013). These non-performer teachers drew on their experiences and told stories of how actors are not fit for the job. "They tend to focus on themselves a lot," (Non-Performer B, 2013) and "it's never about you, it's always about the students" (Non-Performer C, 2013). As I begin to gather the idea of a stigma or a reputation around actors that want to teach, the head of department supports this notion, stating, "I think you would be right to play down you are an actor upon applying for a drama teacher role within a school. I've seen it many times, we are not looking for talented people to show our kids how it's done. We are looking for people who understand how children learn" (Non-Performer A, 2013).

Then I turn to the quantitative data within my survey, when these non-performer teachers at JRCS were asked what skills they possessed naturally before teacher training, only 20% of them felt they had subject knowledge; practitioner skills; and new classroom ideas. When asked if they had artistic passion and knowledge only 2 in 5 of them said they did. If my discussions with these non-performers suggests that actors are not naturally rich in teaching skills and my survey reveals that Drama/Theatre Studies graduates are also not rich in these skills before teacher training, I'm left with the question, who is? 


My reflections in my journal of the experience of the Goldsmith's PGCE application process tells me that,"we had to perform various tasks, all in aim of uncovering what skills we naturally have that will be useful when training... They had clip boards and watched us assist teachers to see if we had any instinctual tools and skills that were transferable to the classroom" (Ahmet, 2012). As Ex-Performer A concludes in his interview, he makes a statement that points to an important finding, "Everybody will always defend themselves. Generally speaking a teacher will always think that their way is the right way and will protect their own chosen path as practitioners. You need to bare that in mind, we naturally want to protect our background" (Ex-performer A, 2013). This opens up a new perspective within my inquiry. Are teachers from a non-performing background bound to assume ex-performers will, "seek the lime light in class and not care about the educational experience of the students" (Non-Performer C, 2013). Ex-Performer D argues, drama graduates may have more of a theoretical background, but I'm not sure of the relevance of that. I think my practitioners experience can enrich a student's process much more than somebody who has merely studied it at university" (Ex-Performer D, 2013). My review on Lawrence Davidson's articles shows support to the idea that, "clever young people just down from university with a degree in drama will find there is no substitute for practical experience” (Davidson, 1999).
 
As I gather and analyse this data, both quantitative and qualitative, I am aware that a practitioner may tend to support their own choices as a professional. Rather than find an answer to my question, it has exposed a stigma or an opinion that I may meet upon my journey in teacher training and applying for a job. The awareness of this assumption will be key, when it comes to selling myself at interview and combating any stigmas that might be put upon me. Rather than my inquiry providing direct answers to my questions, it has allowed me to learn about the culture within my future practise and construct an understanding, thus becoming a better informed practitioner. 

7 comments:

  1. Really interesting to read this - I was quite surprised to hear about the stigma that other teachers attach to ex-performer teachers. I have never taught in a school, so can't claim to be an expert, but perhaps there is a big difference between teaching drama to students who want to pursue performing as a career path, and then teaching a group simply to encourage creativity or use drama to explore a certain theme, for example. When I think of teaching, I find the idea of teaching 16-18 performing arts at college more exciting than younger people in a school, as by this time they have made a choice to pursue drama and you can work a lot more 'professionally', putting plays on and exploring texts. I guess people need to be very careful about what elements of teaching they are actually attracted to. However I don't really agree with the idea that ex-performers make it 'all about themselves' - that's not very fair at all and a huge generalisation....perhaps there are some bitter university graduates out there teaching who are a wee bit jealous they never gave performing a go!

    Just a word in favour of ex-performers as teachers...I think when I was at school, I would have loved to have a teacher (in any subject) who had 'real life' experience of their subject. How much more exciting to learn music, for example, from someone who has performed with the Royal Philharmonic orchestra, or biology from someone who can inspire you with tales of how biological research works in action in a lab. Perhaps too many teachers take the purely academic route of school, university, teacher training, then back to school - it takes much more than subject knowledge to be a great teacher.

    It's great that you have found this out, as like you say, it will be useful to be aware of any possible stigma or negative attitudes that you may encounter, so that you can be prepared for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting Stephanie.

      The comments on the blog are evolving the ideas and findings within my inquiry even further. I do agree that teaching in a school and for those who wish to perform is a different ball game. I hope to balance a bit of both, as they are equally rewarding.

      Thanks Ahmet

      Delete
  2. Hi Ahmet,

    Gosh! Following our chat last Friday, it is interesting to read your analysis on "paper" (well, on screen at least!) Having identified the culture that you will potentially be joining, how does that make you feel?

    What is your opinion on the fact that the HOD and fellow teachers have implied that an ex-performer's approach is centred themselves as opposed to the students?

    Will your PGCE training equip you with the right tools / skills / credentials to ensure that people value your history / approach and intentions?

    Could your inquiry potentially bring about a positive change within the current culture of drama teachers?

    Similarly to Stephanie's comment, I have always been led to believe that the worst teachers are frustrated performers. Those who have not experienced a professional career are often envious. Their teaching methods are based on theory as opposed to a mix of practical experience and theoretical knowledge. Surely teachers who have a balance of both would lead to children gaining a rounded education in drama???

    With all that said, I do not think you should worry unnecessarily. This is the opinion of a few, not of many. It is however, useful to be made aware of certain barriers that people have to enable you to manage new professional relationships?

    Great write up Ahmet and wonderful findings...

    I look forward to reading more.
    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,

      well that's whats interesting. Before i think I would have felt offended. But this course has challenged and matured my thinking, I now see it as a possible hoop that I need to get through. Through reflection and critical thinking, I feel better equipped to handle this now.

      I think the opinion is of course a huge generalisation, but still the comments have been extremely valuable to me. I hope that the PGCE will give me confidence to further refine my knowledge and support my transition.

      I think the most value of this section of my findings is the awareness. That's not to say paranoia. I will continue to be the passionate practitioner i believe to be/become, however it has been valuable to gather an idea that could exist within my practice.

      I feel empowered by it actually, I see it that I am a new generation of drama teacher and it's up to me to challenge this stigma and change their ways of thinking.

      As always you questions are at the utmost value to me, in reflecting and learning further. Thank you
      Ahmet

      Delete
  3. Very Interesting Ahmet.
    I have no experience in teaching acting however have attended many classes throughout my training. I agree with the above comments on having a teacher with experience. Whenever we had a guest teacher that had credits, it gave me something to look up to.

    Both my sister and myself teach dance, unfortunately my sister was never able to perform professionally after her training due to injury, however I have, but I would definitely say she was the better teacher. How old are the students? Does the teacher enjoy working with children? Or is it just for the job/money?
    My sister never got the chance to audition however she often comes with me to pineapple to see what happens and what routines and exercises auditions consist of. She keeps her teaching fresh, even though she was never able to pursue her career this should not affect her students in a negative way.

    Just some thoughts that came to me as reading.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these comments Kimberly.

    I think your questions above I valuable in the sense that we can't judge our decision on generalisations. Through questioning who our students are and what they need, as you say, we can keep our ideas fresh.

    Thanks
    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I have found out in my own inquiry, drama and performing arts is more than creativity and more about the business/industry. There are many transferable skills, such as speach/communication, self-esteem/confidence, social enviroment/political views etc. A professional person who has experience all this in their professional life to gain the experience and position they have in the industry is better placed to educate these skills rather than someone who had read/studied it through text book. All these teacher's will do is repeat other's thought, experience and theory. Performing arts is all about invention and breaking barriers.

    ReplyDelete